Be Creative! Projects : Bazooka Gum Wrapper Origami
Gum Wrapper Origami: Bazooka® Comic Shirt & Pants
By Chris Dunmire
Don't ever underestimate the value of being able to fold dollar bills and gum wrappers into neat little items like mouse-sized shirts and pants. Once your family and friends find out how talented you are they'll be begging you to show them how too!
Here I'll show you how to fold the comic wrappers from Bazooka® bubble gum into a shirt and pants set. You can apply the same folds to other rectangular-shaped paper such as money / dollar bills to create larger models and fun-themed shirts.
Project Materials Needed:
Try It! How to Fold the Shirt:
1. Start with one comic gum wrapper. Flatten out the comic so it's smooth and has no turned corners. Don't use the comic if it's torn.
2. Turn the white side up: Turn the comic over so the blank side is up.
3. Fold lengthwise: Fold the comic in half lengthwise, unfold, and then fold in the two outer sides to meet in the middle.
4. Fold the collar:. Turn the comic over. Fold the top down about 1/8" for the collar.
5. Fold the collar tabs: Turn comic over to front. Fold the collar tabs at an angle inward to meet in center.
6. Double-fold the bottom up: First fold comic to about half the length of the whole shirt, and then fold again to slightly overlap the collar.
7. Undo what you just did: First unfold the double fold. Then carefully open the bottom of the shirt (leave the collar intact) and fold on the first crease from the double fold.
8. Turn the shirt around and fold sleeves: The sleeves are a bit tricky, so don't worry if it takes you a few tries to get them right. Fold one sleeve at a time: Pinch the edge of the comic and push inward to create the sleeve. It tucks in naturally on the previous folds, but needs encouragement. Study the picture closely if you are having difficulty. You'll eventually get it, I promise!
9. Final tucking: Once the sleeves are done, redo the double fold and tuck the edge up under the collar tabs. This is what the shirt looks like finished.
Try It! How to Fold the Pants:
1. Steal from the shirt: To make the pants, start with the # 3 fold from the shirt.
2. Fold wrapper in half lengthwise.
3. Fold wrapper in half at the angle shown.
4. Turn the wrapper over and fold down the top about 1/8" to secure. Optional: cuff the pants.
Congratulations! You've completed folding your origami shirt and pants set. Now go find a mouse and fit him with it.
What You'll Learn:
Patience! If you got through that tricky step # 8 on the shirt successfully, then give yourself a big pat on the back! Wasn't that fun?
The NEXT Creative Step...
What else can you do with the comic wrappers from Bazooka bubble gum? Create your own nifty project out of a bunch of them anything your creative heart desires. •
© Chris Dunmire 2001, 2007. All rights reserved.[an error occurred while processing this directive]