2011 Twenty Questions Interviews : Monique Shine
20 Questions Interview
with Monique Shine
Amateur Writer, Veteran Thinker
1. What's your name?
2. Where are you from?
St. Louis, Missouri.
3. Who are you today?
I am an amateur writer and veteran thinker.
4. What do you do? (Elevator speech)
I write and send out hundreds of resumes a day in a tough economy!
5. What's your story (how did you get here)?
I am the youngest child in my immediate family, and was always a bit of a loner. I spent a lot of time by myself, making up stories and lying in the grass in my back yard, just thinking.
6. Why is creativity and writing important to you?
It keeps me sane and calm.
7. When did you realize you had a creative dream or calling to fulfill?
When I was very young, around five or so, I began making sculptures out of the mud in my back yard while the other kids made mud pies. After that, I looked for other ways to be creative and keep my mind busy.
8. How did you embrace it?
I began writing and reading everything I could get my hands on. And I begged my parents for building blocks, clay, and play dough.
9. How did that feel?
It felt great, as if I was doing something valuable with my time. I felt important.
10. Where has your journey taken you?
It's taken my through many art and creative writing classes throughout my education, and I have started (and deleted) many blogs since the internet came into being.
11. What challenges have you faced?
Not always believing in myself. I have periods where I just don't think I'm good enough, and that stops me from doing whatever it is I'm doing.
12. What worked for you?
Starting something and not taking the time for the inner critic to start yelling at me. I've learned to tune them out.
13. What didn't work for you?
Sticking to a limited focus; that is, being in a niche.
14. What three tips can you share with those starting on a similar path?
- Never let your inner critic drown out the creative thoughts in your head.
- Create everything that comes to your mind, regardless of how ridiculous it seems.
- Breathe and meditate for at least 10 minutes a day.
15. What are you working on now?
Drafts for the new blog I just launched!
16. What's coming up for you in the next year?
If the stars align properly, a new job and writing success.
17. What else do you desire/dream to do?
Retire to Prague and live amongst the artists.
18. How will you make that happen?
Save money and keep my fingers crossed. Playing the lottery and keeping my fingers crossed.
19. What question do you want to answer that's not on this list?
I want to take my own advice on staying calm and believing in myself at all times.
20. What's your Web site address?