Violette : Glittery Globe Collage Folk Art Project
How to Make a Glittery Globe Collage
Imagine looking at an old discarded hard soccer ball and visualizing a fun and funky painted globe! A similar treatment can be given to a real globe or a discarded bowling ball or even a large styrofoam ball! The possibilities are truly endless!
- Old soccer ball, bowling ball or globe
- Acrylic paints
- Images, either your own or from magazines
- Loose glitter
- Mod Podge
- Wooden ball with flat bottom
- Gems, tiny plastic bead letters
- Wire garland with stars
- White glue
- Glue gun
- Colour copied images, magazine pictures or rubberstamped images
- First of all, you scuff up the ball with sandpaper. You want to provide a tooth for the paint to adhere to.
- Next basecoat then entire globe with Gesso, let dry.
- Using a sea sponge or a simple household sponge (cut in pieces), sponge on your colours of choice all over the globe.
- When this is dry you can add your cut out pieces to the surface. I used some of my illustrations which I had colour copied.
- You can hand print or use your computer printer to print out inspirational sayings or words such as "Be here now" "Play" "Create" "Love" "Joy" "Juicy" "Magnificent" "Make Art" "Journey" etc. Glue your illustrations and words all over the surface of your ball in a pleasing fashion.
- Cover surface of ball with Mod Podge. While the podge is still wet sprinkle glitter over certain areas. Coat entire ball a couple more times with the podge.
- Glue wooden ball to the top of the globe with your glue gun. You have previously hot-glued gems and plastic letters to this ball. Hot-glue cut pieces of the garland to the wooden ball by poking into the hole at the top. If desired, add a large sparkly butterfly by gluing to the ball.
- Use the base of a discarded lamp as a pedestal. This base can be either painted or spray painted. The one you see in the picture has been spray painted gold.
Remember, these are only ideas to use as a jumping off point for your creativity. Look at every object with "new eyes" and come up with innovative ideas for simple objects. •
Next: Altered Purse Project »
© Violette 2005. All rights reserved.
Violette is a whimsical creative spirit living in BC, Canada. She can be found driving her Glittergirl van around White Rock and living in the Magic Cottage. More »