Inspired? Please share!
Artful Project Prompts
Create Your Own Personalized Funky Journal Cover
By Violette | Updated December 6, 2018
If you are like me and like to journal on loose pages of card stock then you're going to love creating this Journal Cover to hold your pages. A large bull clip neatly organizes your creations. Using simple materials such as foam core board, industry discards, and garage sale finds, you'll be able to transform mundane items into a fun, funky and fabulous cover!
- Foam core board
- Tissue paper
- Acrylic paint
- Doll head
- Funky fibres or yarns
- Slide mount
- Small jar lid
- Card stock
- Maruba boa
- Acrylic paints
- Bull clip
- Industry discards (i.e. Metal discs, number, laminate samples, puzzle pieces etc.)
- Fine tip Sharpie felt pen
- Mod Podge
- Water color pencil crayons
Journal Cover Instructions:
- Cut a piece of foam core slightly larger than your pages.
- Brush Mod Podge over board and place a piece of tissue paper over it, wrinkling it until you get the effect you are looking for.
- Randomly paint the surface of the board adding a touch of metallic paint for a bit of brilliance.
- Draw an eye or some other symbol onto card stock and color with watercolor pencil crayons. Glue symbol inside a painted lid, cover with layer of Mod Podge, and add some glitter to the rim with bit of Mod Podge.
- Paint slide mount, glue eye or other symbol behind it. Glue both the lid and slide mount to your board.
- Paint the sides of a number or letter, glue some tissue paper to the top, wrinkle it then paint. Spread on a thin layer of Mod Podge and sprinkle glitter over it. Glue to board.
- Draw a column with your pen, cut out, and adhere to board. Write out words onto card stock and glue to board.
- Hot glue a doll's head to board and encircle it with a piece of maruba boa.
- Paint industry discards such as metal disks, laminate samples and puzzle pieces, string onto yarn, and hang from the bull clip.
Now you have a jazzy place to hold your funky journal pages which you've embellished with loads of treasures. You have no more excuses for being unable to locate your pages since they will be contained behind this magical cover!
Next: Creative Spirit Doll Project
Violette's Creativity Tips
Lemonade Stand Business Sense
The other day I noticed a boy on my street had what appeared to be a lemonade stand. Since I like to support children and their entrepreneurial ventures, I stopped to buy some lemonade.
I asked the kid if I could have a glass of lemonade. He looked up at me and said, "I don't have any cups. I don't have very many supplies."
What a dilemma. I told him I would go home and bring him some disposable cups. I came back with the cups and noticed no sign at all. So I asked him how much the drinks were and he said he wasn't sure
maybe 50 cents for half a cup or 1.00 for a full cup. He was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing.
I sprung for the full cup since all I had was a dollar and it didn't appear that the budding entrepreneur had any change.
What did I learn from this little exchange which could be used in business?
- Always have signs to make it easy for people to know what you're selling.
- Have enough of what you're selling when you set up shop.
- Give discounts when people help you out.
- Tell your customers to tell all their friends about you and your product.
- Always be enthusiastic with your customers.
- And for goodness sakes
if you're selling something to drink, make sure you have containers to hold the beverage!
©2006 by Violette. All rights reserved.